Mary Jo Blackwood, RN, MPH, is President of Healthsite Associates, specializing in freelance writing and editing, instructional design, lifestyle management training, and motivational speaking. Based in St. Louis, Missouri and Hartsel, Colorado, her background includes:
* 35 years' experience in health care management and administration
* Extensive training and writing for lay audiences
* Twenty years of public speaking in the health field
* National recognition for design and implementation of health risk management programs.
Mary Jo received her BSN in nursing from the University of Michigan, and her Master's in Public Health from Saint Louis University.
* She was the Health Services Manager for Pet Incorporated’s U.S. Operations, with responsibility for all health-related programming for 30 plants nationwide.
* During that time, she designed and implemented a corporate-wide incentive walking program that won Prevention Magazine's Pacesetter of the Year Award. She was responsible for major medical plan changes to integrate health enhancement programs with other policies and benefits.
* Through her own company, she now does free-lance medical/health and travel writing for a number of St. Louis and national publications, including the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Ladue News, and newsletters/magazine articles/web writing for St. Louis-based corporations, health systems, and universities.
* Mary Jo is a long-time active volunteer for the American Red Cross at the local, state and national levels, and is featured in the August 2010 Reader's Digest.
* She gives humorous keynotes for cancer survivors, as well as her engaging Aging with Pizzazz classes.
* She is a firm believer that life is waaaay too important to be taken seriously, and views exercise as a means to an end to achieve quality of life. To commemorate her 50th birthday, she climbed Kilimanjaro in Africa. Her 60th was spent in the middle of the Sahara, riding camels into Timbuktu. Rocky Mountain highs are some of her favorites. Country Woman did a profile on her for their June 2010 magazine.
* Her first book, Old Love: Lessons Learned along the Way, explores the highs possible in a long-term, dynamic marriage.
To contact us: